Here is Ginny, the main character, when she first sees these plants while painting outside the temple above the town.
I burrowed in the depths of my bag for my little tin paint palette and began to paint the muddy river and its banks festooned with litter and flowers. Hector had fallen asleep in the sunshine, his panama hat over his face. He was one of the few white men I knew in India who refused to wear a solar topi. He woke and looked over my shoulder at my work.
'Mmm—you're actually not that bad at it.'
'You don't have to sound so surprised.'
'I'm not surprised, Mrs T. And I did say you're not bad. Which is not quite the same as saying you're good.'
I jabbed the paintbrush in his arm.
'Why are you always attacking me, woman? Slapping my face and stabbing me with sharp instruments. You're dangerous company.'
'Well, stop giving me cause, you beast. Tell me what those white flowers are, Mr Know-It-All.'
'Datura. Or angels' trumpets to badly educated philistines like you. They grow everywhere around here. Don't try to eat them, darling. They're highly poisonous.'
'I'll bear that in mind.' I put a dab of paint on the tip of his nose."
Download an extract from Kurinji Flowers here or buy a copy here
If you have read one of my books and enjoyed it please leave a comment on Amazon (UK, US & Canada) Thank you
APRIL a to Z GIVEAWAY - win one of my novels
Leave a comment below today or after any of of my A-Z posts on this Blog during April and on May 1st I'll pick FIVE lucky winners from all the comments (so the often you leave a comment the greater your chance to win - maximum one per day). As I will be blogging about aspects of the books with quotes from them you will get a flavour of what they're about
- You must leave a comment on this blog and sign up to my newsletter (I only send one every couple of months or so to announce news or share exclusive offers)
- Only one comment per person per day will go into the draw (so you have 26 chances to win)
- One book prize per person
- Choose between an e-book (all formats) or a paperback
- Open worldwide
- State whether you wish to receive A Greater World or Kurinji Flowers
- Feel free to mention your own A-Z Challenge blog posts but unrelated spam will be removed instantly and will not be entered into the giveaway