The club was named for the beautiful uplands you can see on the photograph above - although in fact it's in flat marshy land just outside the town of Munnar. here is Ginny being shown around the Planters' Club on her first night in her new home:
I looked around for Tony, but he was deep in conversation with Lilian's husband, Theo. She steered me past them, her hand gripping my elbow, ensuring there was no escape. She led me along corridors lined with sporting trophies and wooden honour boards that listed past club secretaries in gold lettering. She pointed out the card room, the reading room, the skittle alley, then let me peek through the glass panel in the door to the gentlemen's bar – a hallowed “Men Only” sanctum we were not permitted to penetrate, and which was evidently a mausoleum for murdered wildlife, judging by the trophies on the dark, wood-panelled walls. She showed me the ladies' bar—tiny, the billiard rooms—two, both huge, until, eventually, we entered a book-lined room with a roaring fire and only one occupant ensconced in a wing chair.
As soon as she saw him, Lilian tried to propel me back towards the door. Too late. He lowered his newspaper and his commanding voice stopped her in her tracks. It was deep and resonant like a double bass, and very plummy.
'Put her down, Lilian, and let me have a proper look at her.'
from Kurinji Flowers
APRIL A to Z GIVEAWAY - win one of my novels
Leave a comment below today or after on any of of my A-Z posts on this Blog during April. On May 1st I'll pick FIVE lucky winners from all the comments (so the more often you leave a comment the greater your chance to win - maximum one comment per day). As I will be blogging about aspects of the books with quotes from them you will get a flavour of what they're about and how I write.
- You must leave a comment on this blog and sign up to my newsletter (I only email every two or three months to announce news and share exclusive offers to readers)
- Only one comment per person per day will go into the draw (so you have 26 chances to win)
- One book prize per person maximum
- Choose between an e-book (all formats) or a paperback
- Open worldwide
- State whether you wish to receive A Greater World or Kurinji Flowers
- Feel free to mention your own A-Z Challenge blog posts but unrelated spam will be removed and will not be entered into the giveaway
Please leave a comment in the comments section below and try to visit some of the other April bloggers. You'll find a list here - there are over 1500 so far!