Tony found a horse for me, a little bay mare. I wanted her to have an Indian name. To his bemusement I christened her “Naṭaṉa”, which Hector told me was the Tamil word for “dancer”. I took advantage of the dawn wakeup call and often rode out on Naṭaṉa before breakfast. The tea gardens were their most beautiful in the early morning, shrouded in mists with low clouds over the mountains and a wonderful limpid light that made them seem almost mystical. My solitary rides introduced me to another side of India, away from the bustle of the Muddy market or the narrow snobbery of the British club. When I rode into villages, children—usually with an entourage of scabby dogs, would run out and follow me, reaching their little hands to stroke my horse. I always carried a bag with boiled sweets to give them, and their happy smiles and giggles as they ran alongside lifted my spirits.
From Kurinji Flowers
APRIL A to Z GIVEAWAY - win one of my novels
Leave a comment below today or after on any of of my A-Z posts on this Blog during April. On May 1st I'll pick FIVE lucky winners from all the comments (so the more often you leave a comment the greater your chance to win - maximum one comment per day). As I will be blogging about aspects of the books with quotes from them you will get a flavour of what they're about and how I write.
- You must leave a comment on this blog and sign up to my newsletter (I only email every two or three months to announce news and share exclusive offers to readers)
- Only one comment per person per day will go into the draw (so you have 26 chances to win)
- One book prize per person maximum
- Choose between an e-book (all formats) or a paperback
- Open worldwide
- State whether you wish to receive A Greater World or Kurinji Flowers
- Feel free to mention your own A-Z Challenge blog posts but unrelated spam will be removed and will not be entered into the giveaway
Please leave a comment in the comments section below and try to visit some of the other April bloggers. You'll find a list here - there are over 1500 so far!