My characters Ginny and Tony, in Kurinji Flowers, have a first date at the newly opened (1936) Odeon cineam in Harrogate, now said to be one of Britain's finest Modernist cinemas.
Sitting in the cinema in the dark beside Tony Tilman I wondered what it would be like to be kissed by him, to have those big muscular arms around me. I'd only ever kissed one man, unless you count Roddy MacBride when we were eight and played sardines at the Hendersons'. I was curious how it would feel with someone else, someone so different from Rupert.
About twenty minutes into the film, he reached for my hand and held it until the end. His skin was warm and his hands were large and I liked it. I felt safe with him. Strange to feel safe, you may say, but that's how it was. Perhaps I was still unsettled by the recent events and there, in the dark cinema with Bing and Ethel warbling away on the screen, I felt looked after, cared for, secure.
From Kurinji Flowers
APRIL A to Z GIVEAWAY - win one of my novels
Leave a comment below today or after on any of of my A-Z posts on this Blog during April. On May 1st I'll pick FIVE lucky winners from all the comments (so the more often you leave a comment the greater your chance to win - maximum one comment per day). As I will be blogging about aspects of the books with quotes from them you will get a flavour of what they're about and how I write.
- You must leave a comment on this blog and sign up to my newsletter (I only email every two or three months to announce news and share exclusive offers to readers)
- Only one comment per person per day will go into the draw (so you have 26 chances to win)
- One book prize per person maximum
- Choose between an e-book (all formats) or a paperback
- Open worldwide
- State whether you wish to receive A Greater World or Kurinji Flowers
- Feel free to mention your own A-Z Challenge blog posts but unrelated spam will be removed and will not be entered into the giveaway
Please leave a comment in the comments section below and try to visit some of the other April bloggers. You'll find a list here - there are over 1500 so far!